The Cascade is now accepting submissions for “The Zine.”
Submit your original and unpublished work:
graphic design work,
The Cascade’s “The Zine” is the semester end magazine supplement to the regular weekly edition of The Cascade, UFV’s student newspaper. We provide an alternative news source with culture and arts commentary to the Fraser Valley. We are thoughtful and focused.
“The Zine” is published by the Cascade Journalism Society and, for this new summer edition, accepts work from anyone living in the Fraser Valley who creates work in one of our categories. If that’s you, please grace our eyes and touch our hearts with your fine creations. Read on for submission details and note particularities of this upcoming edition.
The submission period closes July 1 at 11.59 PM.
From the entrants, a selection of works will be awarded prizes. The categories are as follows:
Best non-fiction as: General non-fiction: $100. Journalism: $200.
Best fiction as: Short story: $100.
Best fiction or non-fiction with a local political/environmental commentary: $150.
Best visual art as: General: $100. Protest art/poster: $100. Local photography: $75.
Best poetry as: First place: $75, Second place: $50. Experimental poetry: $50
While “The Zine” is not themed, categories have been created to encourage the kind of works we want to see from the UFV community.
Gain an upper hand on other submissions; read the “On The Cascade’s Zine” editorial from September 26, 2018.
- Please only submit up to five poems, and three of non-fiction, fiction, and art. Compile all writing in one Word doc and save it as “CascadeZineSubmission.”
- Submit your work with a 50 word, third person bio.
- Please specify what kind of work and genre it is.
- Submissions should be 12-point font and free of spelling mistakes and obvious grammar issues. However, work will be edited upon acceptance.
- For short stories and literary journalism: please keep the word count below 5000 words, and please provide a word count.
- For all visual art: please include dimensions and medium, and only send us high quality, high resolution photos.
- Only submit your best work—work that’s been well-crafted and polished will be chosen over that which is rough or obviously unfinished.
- The Cascade assumes first serials rights, but the artist retains copyright.
- Please make sure you follow all guidelines! Any work that does not meet them will not be considered.
Have an idea or a pitch that isn’t outlined above? For any additional details, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To view past issues of The Zine, take a look at the Zine Archives.